[Samba] FAT32 format HDD recognizes as NTFS
Sallow Yang
2009-08-27 01:40:04 UTC

The following are my steps:
1. Insert a FAT32 format HDD into usb port of Linux PC.
2. After HDD mounted successfully, configure and start samba to share the
HDD.
3. Using Map Network Drive of Windows XP to map the HDD to a windows network
drive.
4.Open the mapped network drive, can see "NTFS" file system on the left
details.

It shows the wrong info, could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance!!
--
Best Regards,
Sallow Yang
Jonathon Doran
2009-08-27 02:00:09 UTC
Post by Sallow Yang
Hi,
1. Insert a FAT32 format HDD into usb port of Linux PC.
2. After HDD mounted successfully, configure and start samba to share the
HDD.
3. Using Map Network Drive of Windows XP to map the HDD to a windows network
drive.
4.Open the mapped network drive, can see "NTFS" file system on the left
details.
It shows the wrong info, could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance!!
Samba allows a directory your Linux box to appear to be an NTFS
volume. That is its purpose. It really doesn't matter what the
original filesystem is: you can export an ext3 filesystem, ext4, xfs,
FAT32... whatever the original filesystem is, the Samba clients (for
example your XP machine) will see it as an NTFS volume.

This isn't really all that different (in my opinion) from the way that
NFS will make directories appear as NFS volumes. It didn't matter
what the original filesystem was in that case either.
Michael Heydon
2009-08-27 02:20:09 UTC
Post by Jonathon Doran
Post by Sallow Yang
4.Open the mapped network drive, can see "NTFS" file system on the left
details.
It shows the wrong info, could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance!!
My theory is that it has to do with the capabilities of the file system.
Samba is presenting a FS that has ownership and permission capabilities,
Windows only knows of one FS that supports those capabilities, therefore
it must be NTFS.

I doubt it has any real effect, it's not like Windows will try to run
chkdsk on it or anything.
Post by Jonathon Doran
Samba allows a directory your Linux box to appear to be an NTFS
volume. That is its purpose. It really doesn't matter what the
original filesystem is: you can export an ext3 filesystem, ext4, xfs,
FAT32... whatever the original filesystem is, the Samba clients (for
example your XP machine) will see it as an NTFS volume.
The client should really see it as a SMB or CIFS volume rather than NTFS.
Post by Jonathon Doran
This isn't really all that different (in my opinion) from the way that
NFS will make directories appear as NFS volumes. It didn't matter
what the original filesystem was in that case either.
I would have said it was closer to exporting an ext3 FS over NFS and the
client reporting that it is reiser.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
***@jaswin.com.au <mailto:***@jaswin.com.au>
Sallow Yang
2009-08-27 03:20:04 UTC
Post by Michael Heydon
Post by Sallow Yang
details.
It shows the wrong info, could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance!!
My theory is that it has to do with the capabilities of the file system.
Samba is presenting a FS that has ownership and permission capabilities,
Windows only knows of one FS that supports those capabilities, therefore it
must be NTFS.
But I think windows NTFS supports ownership and permission that is different
from the samba's, am I right? How do they correspond?
Post by Sallow Yang
I doubt it has any real effect, it's not like Windows will try to run
chkdsk on it or anything.
I don't know if there is any effect or not.
Sallow Yang
2009-08-27 03:00:11 UTC
Post by Sallow Yang
1. Insert a FAT32 format HDD into usb port of Linux PC.
2. After HDD mounted successfully, configure and start samba to share the
HDD.
3. Using Map Network Drive of Windows XP to map the HDD to a windows network
drive.
4.Open the mapped network drive, can see "NTFS" file system on the left
details.
It shows the wrong info, could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance!!
Samba allows a directory your Linux box to appear to be an NTFS volume.
That is its purpose. It really doesn't matter what the original filesystem
is: you can export an ext3 filesystem, ext4, xfs, FAT32... whatever the
original filesystem is, the Samba clients (for example your XP machine) will
see it as an NTFS volume.
Why samba has this purpose? I think it shows right info that can make user
more clearly.

Is the display error easy to be fixed by samba?
John Drescher
2009-08-27 03:20:05 UTC
Post by Sallow Yang
Why samba has this purpose? I think it shows right info that can make user
more clearly.
Is the display error easy to be fixed by samba?
In my opinion the display error is on the windows side. It should not
be guessing what filesystem type a remote server is using.
--
John M. Drescher
Helmut Hullen
2009-08-27 06:50:08 UTC
Hallo, Sallow,
Post by Sallow Yang
Post by Sallow Yang
3. Using Map Network Drive of Windows XP to map the HDD to a
windows network drive.
4.Open the mapped network drive, can see "NTFS" file system on the
left details.
[...]
Post by Sallow Yang
Why samba has this purpose? I think it shows right info that can make
user more clearly.
As John H. Terpstra has already told:
man smb.conf

shows the option "fstype"; its default is NTFS.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut
John H Terpstra - Samba Team
2009-08-27 03:40:08 UTC
Post by Sallow Yang
Hi,
[...]
Please refer to the man page for smb.conf. Look up the parameter "fstype".

- John T.
Sallow Yang
2009-08-27 06:00:16 UTC
Post by John H Terpstra - Samba Team
Hi,
Post by Sallow Yang
[...]
fstype (S)

This parameter allows the administrator to configure the string that
specifies the type of filesystem a share is using that is reported by smbd
(8) <http://sepp.oetiker.ch/samba-3.0.23c-to/help/manpages/smbd.8.html> when
a client queries the filesystem type for a share. The default type is
NTFSfor compatibility with Windows NT but this can be changed to other
strings
such as Samba or FAT if required.

Default: *fstype = NTFS *

Example: *fstype = Samba *

When I set fstype = FAT32 in smb.conf, it can show "FAT32" file system in
the Windows side.
It's the right result, thanks John T!!