[Samba] Error in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders
Bart Coninckx via samba
2017-03-06 22:10:02 UTC
Hi all,

can I freely create an account for the Wiki and do changes? Or should I notify someone (Rowland)?

I found a small error in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders . The wiki mentions as rights on the share Read and Execute for Authenticated Users, but on that level I see only Full Control, Change and Read. My assumption is that it should be Change and Read for Authenticated users,

Met Vriendelijke Groet,
Kind Regards,
Salutations,

Bart Coninckx
Bits 'n Tricks BVBA

Hoge Mierdse Heide 182
2360 Oud-Turnhout
tel. +32 14 480 820

gsm +32 478 88 33 08
***@bitsandtricks.com
http://www.bitsandtricks.com
BTW: BE0817.401.875

Crelan BE46 8601 0806 3436

Voor onze Algemene Voorwaarden, zie: http://www.bitsandtricks.com/index.php/contact/algemene-voorwaarden

Bart Coninckx via samba
2017-03-06 22:30:02 UTC
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
can I freely create an account for the Wiki and do changes? Or should I notify someone (Rowland)?
I found a small error in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders . The wiki mentions as rights on the share Read and Execute >for Authenticated Users, but on that level I see only Full Control, Change and Read. My assumption is that it should be Change and Read for >Authenticated users,
Or is this depending on the managing operating system? I use Windows 7 and also do not have the Disable Inheritance button,

BC
Rowland Penny via samba
2017-03-07 09:20:02 UTC
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 23:06:45 +0100
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
Hi all,

can I freely create an account for the Wiki and do changes? Or should
I notify someone (Rowland)?
You can apply to create your own account, if you go to the main wiki
page:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

In the top right hand corner, click on 'create account' and then fill
in the relevant info.
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
I found a small error
in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders . The wiki
mentions as rights on the share Read and Execute for Authenticated
Users, but on that level I see only Full Control, Change and Read. My
assumption is that it should be Change and Read for Authenticated
users,
Just checked with 'Computer Management' on Win7 and you could be right,
in fact, the entire page seems wrong, I wonder what version of Windows
Marc used ?

Rowland
Marc Muehlfeld via samba
2017-03-07 18:40:01 UTC
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
I found a small error
in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders . The wiki
mentions as rights on the share Read and Execute for Authenticated
Users, but on that level I see only Full Control, Change and Read. My
assumption is that it should be Change and Read for Authenticated
users,
You are right. I fixed this. Thanks.

Additionally, I added a sentence telling the user what to verify on
Win7, because the "Disable inheritance" button only exists on Win8 and
later.
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Just checked with 'Computer Management' on Win7 and you could be right,
in fact, the entire page seems wrong, I wonder what version of Windows
Marc used ?
I really don't understand why you are saying that the _entire_ page is
wrong?

Regards,
Marc
Rowland Penny via samba
2017-03-07 19:00:03 UTC
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 19:33:46 +0100
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
Hi,
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Just checked with 'Computer Management' on Win7 and you could be
right, in fact, the entire page seems wrong, I wonder what version
of Windows Marc used ?
I really don't understand why you are saying that the _entire_ page
is wrong?
Perhaps 'wrong' is the wrong word ;-)

What I meant was, If I run Computer Management on Win7 , I do not get
the same options shown in the screenshots on that wikipage, so I cannot
set things as shown.

Rowland
Bart Coninckx via samba
2017-03-07 19:10:02 UTC
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
Hi,
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Just checked with 'Computer Management' on Win7 and you could be
right, in fact, the entire page seems wrong, I wonder what version
of Windows Marc used ?
I really don't understand why you are saying that the _entire_ page
is wrong?
Perhaps 'wrong' is the wrong word ;-)
What I meant was, If I run Computer Management on Win7 , I do not get
the same options shown in the screenshots on that wikipage, so I cannot
set things as shown.
Rowland

To me they seem screenshots of a more recent Windows version, like Windows 2012 or 2016 server, or Windows 10 client. Maybe the wiki needs to be extended with pages for each OS version ...
Marc Muehlfeld via samba
2017-03-07 20:10:03 UTC
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
To me they seem screenshots of a more recent Windows version,
like Windows 2012 or 2016 server, or Windows 10 client.
It's Windows 10. When I rewrite or update pages with Win7/8 screenshots,
I replace them with ones from the latest Windows client version. I think
it makes more sense than using screenshots from older version.
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
Maybe the wiki needs to be extended with pages for each
OS version ...
We should really not have individual pages for each OS version. We still
have duplicated content in the Wiki and I do my best to get rid of it.
Duplicate content is very hard to maintain and often inconsistent. Often
it is updated only on one place. We had a lot of such cases in our
documentation.

If steps or procedures differ in Windows versions, we should of course
mention the differences. However, not for versions, MS no longer
supports, such as WinXP. Mostly it's enough to add just one sentence to
make clear what's different. That's better than having instructions for
each OS.

Regards,
Marc
Rowland Penny via samba
2017-03-07 20:40:01 UTC
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 21:04:42 +0100
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
To me they seem screenshots of a more recent Windows version,
like Windows 2012 or 2016 server, or Windows 10 client.
It's Windows 10. When I rewrite or update pages with Win7/8
screenshots, I replace them with ones from the latest Windows client
version. I think it makes more sense than using screenshots from
older version.
Why ? People like win7 more than win 10, Microsoft even tried bribing
users to upgrade by giving win10 away. I can have any version of
windows I like, but I default to win7
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
Maybe the wiki needs to be extended with pages for each
OS version ...
We should really not have individual pages for each OS version. We
still have duplicated content in the Wiki and I do my best to get rid
of it. Duplicate content is very hard to maintain and often
inconsistent. Often it is updated only on one place. We had a lot of
such cases in our documentation.
It is all very well getting rid of duplicate content, but as they say, a
picture says more than a thousand words, but the picture must be
relevant to the users OS.
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
If steps or procedures differ in Windows versions, we should of
course mention the differences. However, not for versions, MS no
longer supports, such as WinXP. Mostly it's enough to add just one
sentence to make clear what's different. That's better than having
instructions for each OS.
The problem is, how do you describe the difference without a picture ?

Rowland
Marc Muehlfeld via samba
2017-03-07 20:10:02 UTC
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Just checked with 'Computer Management' on Win7 and you could be
right, in fact, the entire page seems wrong, I wonder what version
of Windows Marc used ?
I really don't understand why you are saying that the _entire_ page
is wrong?
Perhaps 'wrong' is the wrong word ;-)
What I meant was, If I run Computer Management on Win7 , I do not get
the same options shown in the screenshots on that wikipage, so I cannot
set things as shown.
The next time, please say
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
the button shown on the screenshot does not exist on Win7 and
the share permission for Authenticated User is incorrect.
instead of
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
the entire page seems wrong.
It's very frustrating if you spend 8 hours writing such an instruction
and get this kind of feedback. (Yes, that's the amount of time I need
for a doc of this size and complexity including testing.)

I just mentioned this because it's not the first time I read such
comments. This really frustrates me, makes me thinking that I'm wasting
a lot of my spare time, and often keeps me away from writing new content
for a while.

Regards,
Marc
Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba
2017-03-07 20:30:03 UTC
It's very frustrating if you spend 8 hours writing such an instruction and get this kind of feedback. (Yes, that's the amount of time I need for a doc of this size and complexity including testing.)
I just mentioned this because it's not the first time I read such comments. This really frustrates me, makes me thinking that I'm wasting a lot of my spare time, and often keeps me away from writing new content for a while.
Regards,
Marc
Please don't get frustrated about this.

The challenge you have, as you are aware, is you are writing
documentation for a "moving target". "What worked for that (older)
version is now like this and this (newer version) is better" may be true
and may not be true but that change effected your documentation
instruction. You cannot help that that happened.

I have always found your documentation, the docs here on the samba wiki,
to be accurate and very useful. Keep up the great work!!

Obviously the OP does not keep up with what is happening here. Not his
fault, I am sure he/she is only trying to help and suggest.
Rowland Penny via samba
2017-03-07 20:40:02 UTC
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 21:05:44 +0100
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
The next time, please say
This is email, I know what I meant, but you didn't, so I must try
harder next time.
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
the button shown on the screenshot does not exist on Win7 and
the share permission for Authenticated User is incorrect.
instead of
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
the entire page seems wrong.
It's very frustrating if you spend 8 hours writing such an
instruction and get this kind of feedback. (Yes, that's the amount of
time I need for a doc of this size and complexity including testing.)
I understand how you feel, but don't get discouraged, any feedback is
better than no feedback, people only tend to say something if there is
a perceived problem and then only if they can be bothered to.

Rowland
Marc Muehlfeld via samba
2017-03-07 23:10:01 UTC
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
The next time, please say
This is email, I know what I meant, but you didn't, so I must try
harder next time.
Post by Marc Muehlfeld via samba
Post by Rowland Penny via samba
the button shown on the screenshot does not exist on Win7 and
the share permission for Authenticated User is incorrect.
instead of the entire page seems wrong.
I understand how you feel, but don't get discouraged, any feedback is
better than no feedback, people only tend to say something if there is
a perceived problem and then only if they can be bothered to.
I did not complain if people report bugs in docs I wrote. I really
appreciate usable feedback to improve the docs.

I talked about comments like "the entire page seems wrong". This is no
feedback. This only means that the author was incapable to produce
something that doesn't work at all.

I'm frustrated by people not providing useful feedback or with respect.
The ones who always know everything better and always force me to
justify everything I wrote, without having ever provided a single page
of documentation in the Wiki. Or at most just added/updated a few
sentences occasionally, while I spend 10-15 hours each month to refresh
docs, write new guides, test procedures, and update instructions before
we ship a new major version.

Regards,
Marc

PS: In the end it might not matter what Windows version I use to capture
screenshots on. I use screenshots only in exceptions to show things that
are difficult when wrapped in text. If I know about any differences on
other versions, I add a sentence next to the image. However, it makes
more sense to me to use Win10 for the screenshots than from an outdated
OS. I also don't use the output of Samba 4.4 commands in the guides, if
there are newer versions available. If you think we should better
provide docs that contain eight year old Win7 screenshots, please upload
new images. Don't complain - just do.

<EOT>
Bart Coninckx via samba
2017-03-07 21:50:01 UTC
[...]

I was the one suggesting the Windows 7 info.

Please do not take these suggestions as a token of ingratitude, they were a mere expression of the desire for completeness. In fact, I was able to find the correct Windows 7 settings by looking at the Windows 10 info.

We should all acknowledge the effort some people make in the open source field, especially as these efforts are rarely compensated in monetary ways.

Maybe we should call upon more volunteers to do stuff like adding wiki info.

BC
Marc Muehlfeld via samba
2017-03-07 23:10:02 UTC
Hi Bart,
Post by Bart Coninckx via samba
I was the one suggesting the Windows 7 info.
Please do not take these suggestions as a token of ingratitude,
they were a mere expression of the desire for completeness.
In fact, I was able to find the correct Windows 7 settings
by looking at the Windows 10 info.
Don't worry. I wasn't complaining about your post. You reported an
mistake in the guide. I really appreciate this and directly fixed it in
the doc.

My reply regarding your suggestion about having individual pages for
each Windows version was just to tell why we should avoid this.

My frustration came up by a different comment in this thread.

Regards,
Marc
Lin Pro via samba
2017-03-08 23:00:02 UTC
Forgive me to interject a question relating to the page. It is not clear if
User_Home_Folders can be set for a Samba Standalone. Specifically how
to "Assign a user to a Home Folder" in a standalone sever.
There is a mention how to do that from AD DC, NT-4 style and from
within Samba AD DC via ldbedit. Nothing about standalone. Is it
possible at all?

thanks

best regards
linforpros
Marc Muehlfeld via samba
2017-03-10 06:50:01 UTC
Hi Lin,
Post by Lin Pro via samba
Forgive me to interject a question relating to the page. It is not clear if
User_Home_Folders can be set for a Samba Standalone. Specifically how
to "Assign a user to a Home Folder" in a standalone sever.
There is a mention how to do that from AD DC, NT-4 style and from
within Samba AD DC via ldbedit. Nothing about standalone. Is it
possible at all?
Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, this was missing in the docs.

And here it is:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders#In_a_Non-domain_Environment

Regads,
Marc