[Samba] Debian Jessie Samba 4.6.0 amd64 packages.
L.P.H. van Belle via samba
2017-03-07 16:50:02 UTC
Hai,

I’ve setup the samba 4.6.0 for Debian Jessie packages.

Found here : http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/

Sources which are not in debian yet.

Found here : http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/samba-4.6.0/src/

I included the sources changes and buildlogs. So anyone can check or make a own build out of these.

! source not listed here, can be found in debian stretch/sid sources. !

For the impatient.

wget http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/samba-4.6.0/samba-460-installer.sh

edit the samba-460-installer.sh and set the : I_DID_READ_THIS="no” to yes.

Run :  bash samba-460-installer.sh

This creates:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/samba-test.list

Content:

deb [trusted=yes] file:/var/www/html/debian/jessie-samba-460 amd64/

The trusted=yes is set because these are unsigned packages.

Only the repo packages are signed.

All needed packages are found in : /var/www/html/debian/jessie-samba-460/amd64

My output.

apt-cache policy samba

samba:

  Installed: 2:4.5.3+nmu-1

  Candidate: 2:4.6.0-1.1

  Version table:

     2:4.6.0-1.1 0

        500 file:/var/www/html/debian/jessie-samba-460/ amd64/ Packages

     2:4.5.3+nmu-1 0

        500 http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages

     2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2 0

        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages

        500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main amd64 Packages

If you detect bugs/problems etc, please post this to the list.

Have fun !

Greetz,

Louis

Andrew Bartlett via samba
2017-03-07 18:30:03 UTC
Hai,

I’ve setup the samba 4.6.0 for Debian Jessie packages.
Found here : http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/
Is there any chance you could join the debian packaging team, to help
get this in to debian experimental, and then unstable?

You have been doing great work on this for some time, and I think that
is the way to unblock the route to maintaining this as a backport. I
know you were rebuffed on that previously, but if the whole debian
package team is supported better, that problem goes away.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT http://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Emmanuel Blindauer via samba
L.P.H. van Belle via samba
2017-03-14 14:50:03 UTC
Hai Andrew,

Sorry, for the late reply.
Yes, that is my goal in the end.
I'll keep makeing the packages for now and post them on the list.
If you or someone else can give me tips on improving the packages even more.
Let me know, then when im ready, then its a small step in joining the packaging team.

I'll go through https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Guidelines
anything else you can advice me to read?

Best regards,

Louis
Andrew Bartlett via samba
2017-03-14 21:10:02 UTC
Hai Andrew,
Sorry, for the late reply.
Yes, that is my goal in the end.
I'll keep makeing the packages for now and post them on the list.
If you or someone else can give me tips on improving the packages even more.
Let me know, then when im ready, then its a small step in joining the
packaging team.
I'll go through https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Guidelines
anything else you can advice me to read?
I think it really works the other way around, you join the mailing
list, help with bugs and propose patches to the package repo. You
don't need any special rights to do any of that, and I can sponsor
uploads if need be (but others who are more active would be better).

An experimental package for Samba 4.6.0 would be great, so working with
samba-pkg-maint would be the best bet.

https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-samba-maint/

To be clear, this (samba@ isn't the list to get feedback on debian
packaging, but samba-pkg-maint is).

I look forward to seeing you there,

Andrew Bartlett
Best regards,
Louis
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  http://samba.org
Herb Lewis via samba
2017-03-14 20:10:02 UTC
Any Samba 4.6.0 packages (including src packages) available for Centos 7
yet?
Herb Lewis via samba
2017-03-16 17:20:02 UTC
I know how to build samba but what I am not as familiar with is
creating rpm packages. I was hoping to find the "official" CentOS
version to start with.
Post by Herb Lewis via samba
Any Samba 4.6.0 packages (including src packages)
available for Centos 7 yet?
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source
It's not as difficult as you might suppose.
Reindl Harald via samba
2017-03-16 19:00:02 UTC
Post by Herb Lewis via samba
I know how to build samba but what I am not as familiar with is
creating rpm packages. I was hoping to find the "official" CentOS
version to start with.
http://vault.centos.org/7.3.1611/os/Source/SPackages/

you install a src.rpm as your builduser and it will unpack the tarball
and other source files below SOUCRES and the SPEC file below SPECS -
never touch rpmbuild as root