[clug] Anyone managed to get Epson PrintCD working in Wine?
Paul Rands
2014-09-04 11:58:44 UTC
Hi Guys,

I have spent the past 3 or 4 nights trying to get Epson PrintCD 2.2.4
working under Wine 1.7.22 without luck. It installs fine, and the
program does everything it should, so that's a win, but it won't see the
CUPS printer driver. I've tried loading the Windows Printer driver
within Wine, but I can't get past the error message "This software is
not suitable for your system" (or similar to that).

I've hit up the Wine forums and found mixed results there, but nothing
really helpful. I've tried a few different versions of Wine too via Play
On Linux. I've also tried a few versions of the program as well.

Has anyone had any luck getting it to work? Those who are unfamiliar to
the app, it's a program for design layouts for printable CDs, which you
print out using the special feeder on the Epson Artisan 730 printer.

I have setup gLabels, which is working reasonably well, but I can't
force a change to the printer margins, so the printing is 3mm off from
the left and top of the disc.

I also have an issue with the print quality to the disc, even though the
print dialogs are all set to CD, the printer seems to be using plain
paper ink levels.

I was reading about Gutenprint tonight, but I haven't tried it at this
stage.

Thanks in advance
--
Paul Rands
lists at paulrands.com <mailto:lists at paulrands.com>
Paul Wayper
2014-09-05 09:04:00 UTC
Post by Paul Rands
Hi Guys,
I have spent the past 3 or 4 nights trying to get Epson PrintCD 2.2.4
working under Wine 1.7.22 without luck. It installs fine, and the program
does everything it should, so that's a win, but it won't see the CUPS
printer driver. I've tried loading the Windows Printer driver within
Wine, but I can't get past the error message "This software is not
suitable for your system" (or similar to that).
With my Epson Stylus Colour R210, I got CD printing working a while back.
- From memory I had to:

1) Use a program that could print to the entire page and allowed me to set
the margins.

2) Select "Print to CD" as the Source in the Job Options tab of the print
dialogue.

3) Use the Epson standard CD caddy that came with the printer.

Your distance may vary :-)

Hope this helps,

Paul