[Samba] ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!
Miguel Medalha via samba
2017-03-10 22:10:02 UTC
Today I upgraded two AD DCs to Samba 4.60.

All looks well. I noticed greater speed in some areas.

When I run "testparm", the output contains the following:

idmap range not specified for domain '*'
ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

"samba-tool testparm" does not output this. I remember that some efforts
were put into unifying the behavior of these tools.

Although I suppose that "samba-tool testparm" is the proper way to check
the config in the case of a AD DC, doesn't this bring some confusion to
users? After all, the tool is telling the user that he has an "invalid
idmap range for domain *". And with a "!" at the end! Is this supposed
to be so or was it an oversight?
Andrew Bartlett via samba
2017-03-10 22:20:02 UTC
Post by Miguel Medalha via samba
Today I upgraded two AD DCs to Samba 4.60.
All looks well. I noticed greater speed in some areas.
idmap range not specified for domain '*'
ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!
"samba-tool testparm" does not output this. I remember that some
efforts
were put into unifying the behavior of these tools.
Although I suppose that "samba-tool testparm" is the proper way to
check
the config in the case of a AD DC, doesn't this bring some confusion
users? After all, the tool is telling the user that he has an
"invalid
idmap range for domain *". And with a "!" at the end! Is this
supposed
to be so or was it an oversight?
This output is a bug, the default normal configuration for the AD DC
has been caught up in an attempt to detect invalid configurations for
the domain member case. Can you file it in our bugzilla?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT http://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Miguel Medalha via samba
2017-03-10 22:30:01 UTC
Post by Andrew Bartlett via samba
This output is a bug, the default normal configuration for the AD DC
has been caught up in an attempt to detect invalid configurations for
the domain member case. Can you file it in our bugzilla?
Done. Filed as Bug 12629.
Thank you.